Natasha Nicholson, Schizophrenia Society of Alberta
We're working towards improving the quality of life for those affected by schizophrenia and psychosis through education, support programs, public policy and research.
In order to support people living with Schizophrenia, we’re working towards a number of goals:
- To improve the quality of life for those living with schizophrenia
- To provide support for families affected by schizophrenia
- To increase public awareness and understanding of schizophrenia
- To advocate for improved services for those persons living with schizophrenia
- To promote research into the causes and treatment of schizophrenia
Schizophrenia Society of Alberta thanks YOU for your support
Sunday March 08 , 2015
The Schizophrenia Society of Alberta had a festive holiday season partnered with the Old Strathcona Business Association for the It’s a Wonderful Whyte Sleigh Rides.
Riders enjoyed a leisurely sleigh ride through Old Strathcona/ Whyte Avenue. Longriders provided the beautiful Percheron and Belgian horses guided by seasoned drivers.
This was an exciting first time opportunity to partner with Old Strathcona Business Association to raise awareness and funds for mental health. Each ride was by donation and a team of over twenty volunteers brought cheer to riders at five station stops throughout Old Strathcona. Edmonton Oilers Goaltender Ben Scrivens joined in on the fun and collected donations on behalf of SSA.
Some of the feedback received included:
“This is a fantastic way to shop the avenue and support a good cause”
“Definitely my best volunteer gig!”
“I love Whyte Avenue during Christmas and hearing the bells of the sleigh made me love it more”
Volunteers basked in the sun and warm temperatures on the avenue, enjoying the hot chocolate that Second Cup Varscona generously donated for all volunteers.
The shuttle map changed slightly in January and February to support the Ice on Whyte Festival. Edmonton’s most popular winter festival showcased international ice sculpture completion, snow slides and local musicians.
The Schizophrenia Society of Alberta was thrilled to be a part of this Old Strathcona tradition and all funds raised directly support SSA Edmonton’s vital programs. We cannot wait for the next It’s a Wonderful Whyte!
Thank you to riders, volunteers and the Old Strathcona Business Association for this amazing opportunity.
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Chianti Cafe and Restaurant
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Avenue Salons
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Sugared & Spiced
- 'Tis the Season to Shop Local!
- Tobacco and vaping and cannabis - oh my!
- Sips & Savours
- Whyte Christmas