Gillian Thomson, City and Dale
Gillian is a graphic designer by day and a writer by night. She shares her Edmonton discoveries and favourite things on City and Dale. City and Dale delivers the best in fun, fashion, food, culture and wellness. Founded in 2009 by Kendall Barber, City and Dale started as a website devoted to delighting in the fine city of Edmonton.
While Gillian is often described as clever, funny and creative; she’s just downright interesting. She’s got a degree in chemistry; is a certified hair stylist; and is a graphic designer in the exciting world of advertising. Follow Gillian on Twitter or send her an email.Visit their Web Site
5 SENSES IN OLD STRATHCONA :: TASTE
Friday August 08 , 2014
Our series in partnership with Old Strathcona Business Association concludes with the tastes of Old Strathcona. As their website says, "Old Strathcona has everything you need with experiences for all five of your senses." If you missed it, read about all the things to hear, feel, see and smell.
When you think of exploring all 5 senses in Old Strathcona, taste is probably the first that comes to mind. There are so many great places to eat and drink in the area, we simply couldn't cover them all. Instead, here is a small sampling of some of our favourites.
Breakfast or Brunch
- Under the High Wheel - great atmosphere inside or on the patio. Take your special someone, some girlfriends, or your parents. Everyone would love it.
- The Next Act - Breakfast basics + pub/diner atmosphere = just what Sunday morning ordered.
- New York Bagel Cafe - Tucked around the corner north of the farmer's market, you'll feel like you're in a different city if you're lucky enough to get a table in this cozy place.
- Julio's Barrio - This tops the Whyte ave patio list if you can get a spot close to the sidewalk. Watch the world go by and sip on a bulldog. Perfect way to beat the heat.
- Dadeo - This New Orleans style diner packs a bit of heat in all its cajun dishes. Classic, comfort food in a room that feels a bit like a movie set.
Snack or Dessert
- Crave Cupcakes - Gillian's favourite cupcake place in the city never disappoints. Their cupcakes are never dry and somehow finds a way to be not too sweet. Treat yourself to a few flavours in the mini size.
- Block 1912 - Be sure to open up the drawers and read little love notes while you enjoy a little snack.
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Grindstone Theatre
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Athlete's Choice Massage
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Doan's Vietnamese Restaurant
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Ohana Donuterie
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - The Paint Spot
- Sips & Savours
- Whyte Christmas