Gillian Thomson, City and Dale
Gillian is a graphic designer by day and a writer by night. She shares her Edmonton discoveries and favourite things on City and Dale. City and Dale delivers the best in fun, fashion, food, culture and wellness. Founded in 2009 by Kendall Barber, City and Dale started as a website devoted to delighting in the fine city of Edmonton.
While Gillian is often described as clever, funny and creative; she’s just downright interesting. She’s got a degree in chemistry; is a certified hair stylist; and is a graphic designer in the exciting world of advertising. Follow Gillian on Twitter or send her an email.Visit their Web Site
5 SENSES IN OLD STRATHCONA :: SEE
Thursday June 26 , 2014
Our series in partnership with Old Strathcona Business Association continues today with all the wonderful sights in the area. As their website says, "Old Strathcona has everything you need with experiences for all five of your senses." If you missed it, read about all the things to feel.
First things first: people watching! Perch yourself on a park bench or patio and watch the world go by. One of the best things about Old Strathcona is the mix of people that flock to the area. There truly is something for everyone.
Look into the past at one of our favourite stores in all of Edmonton: Vivid Print! Home to a huge collection of provincial archives and old Edmonton photos, Vivid Print is the place to go if you'd like a piece of hometown history. They are also a full print shop so you can see your own photos come to life in frames or on canvas. Here are some of their tips for hanging artwork.
Watch the stars on the silver screen in the historical Princess Theatre. Showing art house films and critically acclaimed indie movies, going to a movie in the intimate theatre is quite a lovely experience. Hint: It's also a lot less expensive than the multi-cinema theatres!
When we're taking about things to see in Old Strathcona, it's hard to miss all of the plays you can see! Many of the best local theatre companies call the area home including Catalyst Theatre, Varscona Theatre, ATB Financial Arts Barns, and Walterdale Theatre. Right now, you're in luck: for the 14th year, there is a Theatre 6-Pack on sale for only $100. Sample some refreshing new shows in the Fall/Winter season including:
- Happy Toes - October 2-18 - Teatro La Quindicina (Varscona Theatre)
- The Maggie-Now Cycle of Plays - November 13-23 - Workshop West Playwrights' Theatre (ATB Financial Arts Barns)
- Six Degrees of Separation - December 3-13 - Walterdale Theatre
- Circle Mirror Transformation - January 14-February 1, 2015 - Shadow Theatre (ATB Financial Arts Barns)
- A Dream Play - March 26-April 4, 2015 - Studio Theatre (Timms Centre for the Arts)
- Christina/Philippe - April 30-May 9, 2015 - Northern Light Theatre (ATB Financial Arts Barns)
Read about each play and buy your Theatre 6-Packs now through Tix on the Square.
- Ice Carving Magic comes alive in Old Strathcona!
- When Snow Flies We Must DIY!
- It's Halloween in Old Strathcona!
- That's a Wrap!: Edmonton Fringe Festival 2017
- Busking On Whyte Ave
- Sips & Savours
- Whyte Christmas