Gillian Thomson, City and Dale
Gillian is a graphic designer by day and a writer by night. She shares her Edmonton discoveries and favourite things on City and Dale. City and Dale delivers the best in fun, fashion, food, culture and wellness. Founded in 2009 by Kendall Barber, City and Dale started as a website devoted to delighting in the fine city of Edmonton.
While Gillian is often described as clever, funny and creative; she’s just downright interesting. She’s got a degree in chemistry; is a certified hair stylist; and is a graphic designer in the exciting world of advertising. Follow Gillian on Twitter or send her an email.Visit their Web Site
5 SENSES IN OLD STRATHCONA :: FEEL
Wednesday June 11 , 2014
As their website says, "Old Strathcona has everything you need with experiences for all five of your senses." We're partnering with Old Strathcona Business Association to explore each sense in a series of summer blog posts. In the coming weeks, you'll learn a thing or two about the endless possibilities for fun in Old Strathcona. Enjoy!
Let's start off with one of the more challenging senses to narrow down in Old Strathcona - Touch. When we think about things to touch in Old Strathcona, a few come to mind: pushing pedestrian crossing lights, opening boutique doors, flipping through clothes on hangers, holding a specialty coffee, and of course swiping credit cards. But aside from physical touch, we're focusing on what we can feel when we're in the area.
Work with your hands
- Turn blank ceramic into a thing of beauty at Crankpots Ceramic Studio.
- Get your hands wet while sculpting a clay masterpiece at Clayworks Studio.
- Let your creative juices flow making a work of art using supplies from The Paint Spot.
Feel like a million bucks
- For guys: Straight shave and a dapper haircut from Barber Ha will do the trick.
- For gals: There are simply too many options for pampering in the area, it's best to send you over to this helpful directory to decide for yourself!
- Nothing pulls at the heart strings more than seeing your childhood toys or memorabilia from Grandma's kitchen. Walk through Old Strathcona Antique Mall or Junque Cellar for unique housewares, decor, collectibles, furniture, and many, many memories.
Feel well rested
- May we suggest a mini vacation? Two lovely boutique hotels make for a lovely staycation in the heart of Old Strathcona. We loved Metterra, and Varscona is in a prime location as well.
Feel connected to history
- A ride across the river valley between downtown and Old Strathcona in a historic streetcar is something to be experienced by everyone. The High Level Streetcar offers spectacular views and, if you're lucky, charming history lessons that never disappoint.
- It doesn't need to be Halloween to indulge in a good old fashioned ghost tour. Keep an eye on the Edmonton Ghost Tours website for their upcoming season (starts in July).
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Grindstone Theatre
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Athlete's Choice Massage
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Doan's Vietnamese Restaurant
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Ohana Donuterie
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - The Paint Spot
- Sips & Savours
- Whyte Christmas