Gillian Thomson, City and Dale
Gillian is a graphic designer by day and a writer by night. She shares her Edmonton discoveries and favourite things on City and Dale. City and Dale delivers the best in fun, fashion, food, culture and wellness. Founded in 2009 by Kendall Barber, City and Dale started as a website devoted to delighting in the fine city of Edmonton.
While Gillian is often described as clever, funny and creative; she’s just downright interesting. She’s got a degree in chemistry; is a certified hair stylist; and is a graphic designer in the exciting world of advertising. Follow Gillian on Twitter or send her an email.Visit their Web Site
Staycation in Old Strathcona
Friday October 18 , 2013
Stay + Vacation = Staycation.
An oxymoron, yes. But it makes for a great weekend break.
When Metterra gave us the opportunity to stay overnight in the middle of Whyte Avenue, of course we couldn't turn it down. It was a lot more than a one-night stay in a boutique hotel. It gave us the chance to think about a weekend in Edmonton in a different way.
If you were visiting Edmonton and staying in the heart of Old Strathcona, what would you do? The brainstorming was so fun. Here are the recommendations we make:
- On Saturday, start off with breakfast from Old Strathcona Farmers' Market, and pick up some snacks for later on in the day.
- Wander through the one-of-a-kind shops along Whyte Avenue (obviously).
- Lunch at Dadeo. Mmm... sweet potato fries...
- Head over to Vivid Print to pick out a uniquely Edmonton souvenir like a Jason Blower print or provincial archive photo.
- Before dinner, take advantage of Metterra's complimentary wine and cheese (every day except Sunday from 5:30-6:30pm)
- For dinner, go around the corner to Packrat Louie
- After dinner activities could be: an art house film at Princess Theatre, live music at Yardbird Suite, or a local play at Varscona Theatre or Catalyst Theatre.
- If you still have time before midnight, stop in at Murrietta's for a night cap.
- In the morning, wake up refreshed and enjoy brunch at The Next Act or Under the High Wheel
Knowing that we were staying in the hotel and not having a car around really made us feel like we were on vacation. A big thanks to Metterra and Old Strathcona for hosting us!
- Ice Carving Magic comes alive in Old Strathcona!
- When Snow Flies We Must DIY!
- It's Halloween in Old Strathcona!
- That's a Wrap!: Edmonton Fringe Festival 2017
- Busking On Whyte Ave
- Sips & Savours
- Whyte Christmas