'Tis the Season to Shop Local!
Wednesday November 21 , 2018
We're excited to announce our holiday contest this year, and spread the message that 'Tis the Season to Shop Local'! Shopping locally in ANY store (we love our chains too...) helps out a local business owner, their staff, and the community around them. We've got tons of philanthropic businesses in our 'hood that pay it forward by donating their time and services to worthy causes! We want to pay it forward to YOU by giving Old Strathcona patrons the chance to win one of THREE great Experience Packages
Here's how to enter:
- Shop (or eat, play, or stay) at your favourite Old Strathcona business
- Snap a selfie of you inside of the business. If you're shy, take a pic of your favourite thing!
- Share your pic (and where you found it) with @oldstrathcona on Twitter or Instagram using #ShopLocalGiveBack
- For one entry into the contest - share your picture, tag us, and hashtag it with #ShopLocalGiveBack. For an EXTRA entry, let us know why you absolutely love that business or something that that business does to give back to the community!
Contest runs from November 22, 2018 until January 6, 2019. Winners will be announced on Monday, January 7!
Curious about what you can win? We've got three great Experience Packages up for grabs:
- $50 GC to Rooster Cafe & Kitchen
- $50 GC to Chianti's
- $100 GC at Ampersand27
- Sweet treats from Yelo'd
- 1 night suite stay for 2 at the Varscona Hotel (including evening wine & cheese tasting, and executive breakfast for 2)
- 6 week Family Yoga Pass from Little Lotus Inc.
- Spa Package from Avenue Salons
- 6 passes for EXIT Edmonton
- $80 GC for an art class at The Paint Spot
- Distillery tour and tasting at Strathcona Spirits
- 2 passes for 2 weeks unlimited at City Fit Shop
- 1 night suite stay at the Mettera (including evening wine & cheese tasting, and executive breakfast for 2)
- $50 GC to Doan's
- Admission to straight shave class at Kent of Inglewood
- 4 tickets to any show, and a $25 bistro GC for Grindstone Theatre
We're also going to be profiling some of our businesses and shining a light on all that they do to give back to the community! We've got tons of stories in our 'hood of businesses that give back - and we're looking forward to sharing them with you.
Winter Whyte Light Up
The Old Strathcona Business Association is pleased to announce our first annual Winter Whyte Light Up event. On December 1st, we're turning McIntyre Park into a winter wonderland and celebrating the holiday season! We've got a ton of fun things planned:
- Extended hours at the Old Strathcona Farmers' Market
- Free Santa photos at the ATB Financial Arts Barn
- Musical entertainment from the Cosmopolitan Music Society
- Kids yoga and movement sessions with Little Lotus Inc
- Performances by School of Raq Bellydance Studio
- Kids Zone
- Appearances by the friendly folks at Flying Canoë Volant
- Firepits & s'mores with Edmonton Tourism
- Music in the Gazebo by Mike Dominey
- Sweet treats available for purchase from Sugared & Spiced
- And just a few other things...
Ring in the holiday season with a festive holiday sleigh ride around Old Strathcona!
Sleigh rides will take place between 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM on Sunday, December 2 and 9, and Saturday, December 15 & 22.
We've got two horse-drawn sleighs on the go, which come by each stop approximately every 20 minutes. Please note the last pick-up will be around 3:30 PM.
Experience our unique take on a holiday hop-on hop-off shuttle while shopping and taking in all that Old Strathcona has to offer! Donations will be gratefully accepted, with proceeds going to The Mustard Seed. You can find the donation box in the lobby area of Roots on Whyte, or in Under the High Wheel when the reception desk in the lobby is closed.
Check out the route here.
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - City Fit Shop
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Chianti Cafe and Restaurant
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Avenue Salons
- #ShopLocalGiveBack - Sugared & Spiced
- 'Tis the Season to Shop Local!
- Sips & Savours
- Whyte Christmas